I don’t know if any of you have even heard of this product… it’s kind of hard to find. I started out using there dish washer booster powder to make homemade dishwasher tabs. The recipe I was using called for Citric acid, and that’s basically what it was. A few years later they rolled out a whole line of cleaning products, including dishwasher tabs. And they quickly became one of my favorite natural brands.
So here are my thoughts on the products I’ve used:
The dish soap
- The scent is REALLY strong. I could hardly use it when I was going through morning sickness. Don’t get me wrong it smells nice and citrus-y it’s just very intense
- It doesn’t leave spots on my dishes
- It didn’t leave an residue on my dishes
- It really does a great job getting that greasy film off without having to scrub hard
- The only down side is the scent is so strong I can’t wash my yeti lids or straws in it because they will smell like it and it mess’s with my sense of taste. Don’t misunderstand me there is no actual soap taste.
- On the other side… those plastic Tupperware containers that smell like garlic after a while don’t stand a chance
- I’ve also noticed how well it gets spaghetti sauce stains off of my plastic containers
- Works great! Much better than my homemade ones
- No spots on my glass
- I clean all food off my dishes before I put them in the dishwasher so I can’t really tell you how good they are at getting off stuck on food
- It has a light lemon scent that I smell when the dishwasher is on heated dry
The Glass Cleaner
- No chemical smell
- Doesn’t contain ammonia
- It’s the only thing that will leave my black stove top streak free and shiny
- It does the job but I do struggle with streaks on my mirrors
So far these are the only products I’ve tried. I have bought the dish washer booster but I didn’t use it for it’s intended purpose. So I can’t really review it. They also have an all purpose spray that I haven’t tried. I wish it was easy to find their products, they seem pretty natural and plant based. I faithfully use the dish washing liquid and the dishwasher tabs. The glass cleaner is kind of a take it or leave it deal for me. I love that it doesn’t smell like ammonia or vinegar but if I could find another natural brand that doesn’t leave streaks on my mirrors I would switch.
If you have tried this brand, let me know what you think of it in the comments below
So while we are talking about laundry detergents, I thought I’d share my thoughts on a natural detergent I’ve tried.
I ran out of my DIY laundry soap right around the time I had my son. I won’t get into all the details, but my postpartum recovery didn’t go as smoothly as I would have wanted. So needless to say I wasn’t up to making my laundry soap. I had a new baby in the house so I needed something gentle. Even though I bought him his own special baby detergent for his clothes. I still wanted something gentle for mine since he would be snuggling me and my clothes all the time and laying on my bed. My husband came home with the unscented Eco’s liquid laundry detergent. I will say that my son didn’t have any adverse reactions to it and I eventually started throwing his clothes in with ours.
Here are my thoughts on it:
- My whites came out dingy
- It did nothing for the stains
- It did neutralize odors
- Overall I didn’t feel my clothes were really getting clean because nothing came out bright like I was used to with my DIY soap
I can’t say it was terrible, but I just wasn’t a fan. If you’ve tried it and feel differently, let me know in the comments below.
So this is one of my favorite natural diys! I got the base recipe from Pinterest at http://triciainglett-frugalmommy.blogspot.com/2013/02/home-made-laundry-detergent.html?m=1 This blogger has tons of DIY cleaner recipes and lots of other stuff of her blog. You should check it out!
Now I will warn you, it costs around $30 to make so it’s not initially cheaper than store bought laundry soap. The reason this DIY is absolutely worth it and healthy house wife approved is, it lasts my family about 6 months to a year but typically closer to a year. Because you only use a tablespoon or two per load. And I’m not exaggerating! Don’t put too much, not only is it a waste, but I can’t guarantee it will all wash out.
Here’s my recipe:
1 box of Borax
1 box of Super Washer Soda
1 3LB tub of Oxyclean
1 4Lb box of Baking Soda
2 small or 1 and a half large Downy Unstoppables
1 box of Zote soap flakes
I dump everything in a bucket and stir with a wooden spoon. It helps if you stir as you go. Another great tip is let your kiddos make this for you. They have fun and you don’t have to do it. My young sister in law LOVES coming over and making it for me. I help open boxes and sometimes take a turn or two stirring and she does the rest! I went to Walmart and bought a big glass jar with a lid and I keep the one of the tiny scoops from a smaller oxyclean container to scoop it.
There is nothing wrong with the original recipe, this is just my preferred ingredients. For one it was a pain grating the the soap and the microwave trick took FOREVER not to mention how many times I burned my hands. If you can’t find the flakes, I recommend using the cheese grater on a food processor if you have one. Just make sure to wash all the soap off really well before using it for food again. And I love the the scent beads more than the crystals.
Ok now here’s why I think it’s worth all the work when I could buy a chemical free detergent:
- My whites have never been more white
- It’s a great stain fighter, I even dip an old wet tooth brush in it and use it as a prewash spot treatment
- I don’t need fabric softener when I wash my cloths with it
- My clothes smell fantastic for weeks
- I know exactly what I’m washing my clothes in
- I feel good knowing I’m saving money but not sacrificing quality
- It works so much better than the natural laundry soaps I’ve tried
If you try this recipe let me know what you think in the comments. Did you make any changes and what’s your favorite scent to add?
I haven’t updated this blog in so long, I’m pretty sure no one is reading it anymore… but just encase you’ve come across this blog and read some of the old post, I wanted to warn you that I’m changing the site. Basically I noticed since more and more people are reading my mommy blog, a few people have wandered this way. I was never very happy with the way this blog was going, but I have some unexplainable attachment to it. So I’ve decided to turn it into more of a review blog. I will tell you about the natural/green products I’ve tried or heard of and let you know what I think. I hope you find this helpful I know I would have 💝